Dear Iowa City Garden Owner,
Thank you for your interest in sharing your garden in Project GREEN’s new Open Gardens Weekend! We hope to provide a FREE, enjoyable and informative event for thousands of garden visitors, as well as raise money for our community and school beautification projects. Your willingness to open your garden will inspire other gardeners and result in a more beautiful community.
You may have some questions; here are a few guidelines that may be helpful (we’ll send you more information in advance of the event):
- Anyone who is excited about gardening and proud of their gardening efforts may open their garden – there are no qualifications concerning size, perfect weed-free maintenance (ha!) or professional design. Your garden is a personal artistic expression and Project GREEN wants to offer visitors a wide variety of diverse gardens to see and learn from.
- We ask only that you make a reasonable effort at visitor safety, by common-sense steps like making sure paths are clear of toys or materials that pose a tripping hazard, etc. Project GREEN will carry insurance for the event, but if you’re uncertain about the safety of your garden, a Project GREEN member will be happy to stop by and take a look. We’ll send you a list of preparation tips well in advance of the event.
- If there’s a part of your garden that’s not ready for visitors, just put a rope and note across it.
- If you know of any other admirable gardens, particularly in your own neighborhood (people are more likely to visit streets with multiple gardens for convenience), please encourage other garden owners to sign up by referring them to our website or giving them our number. We appreciate your help in spreading the word!
- We’ll let you know when and where you can pick up your Open Gardens sign prior to the event.
- The Open Gardens weekend will be July 13 & 14, 2019, from 10am to 3pm.
- Following the event on Sunday (3:30-5pm), there will be FREE Ice Cream at Ashton House!
- If an emergency arises and you can’t open your garden for part or all of the weekend, remove your Open Garden sign. Posting a note explaining that an illness, etc. has occurred will help visitors to understand that they did actually find the right address, but that your garden just can’t be open. (If you know already that you can open your garden on only one day of the weekend, please note that, e.g. “Saturday only” in your garden description.)
- Have fun talking with the many appreciative visitors who will stop by to see your beautiful garden!
If you’d like to share your garden, please click below to fill out the Questionnaire by May 15, 2019, in order to be included in the Open Gardens Map. If you have any questions, please email or call us at the above number. We thank you for your generosity in sharing your garden and making the Open Gardens Weekend a fun and successful event!
Cindy Parsons and Diane Allen, Co-Presidents of Project GREEN
Please click here to fill out the Open Gardens Questionnaire. Thanks!