Channel Your Passion for Project GREEN
Combine your current gift with future support.
We know that you support Project GREEN because you believe in our mission, and as we do, you care deeply about the beauty of our natural environment. Now you can receive tax benefits for your contribution and at the same time channel your passion into a legacy – one that offers you serious tax advantages.
Project GREEN has partnered with the Community Foundation of Johnson County (CFJC) to establish an endowment fund – a forever fund made up of gifts and bequests. The principal in our Project GREEN Endowment Fund remains intact in perpetuity and is invested to create an ongoing source of income for our projects.
Our endowment fund at CFJC provides donors an Endow Iowa Tax Credit. Endow Iowa is a program adopted by the Iowa Legislature in 2003 that offers a 25 percent tax credit to individuals, families, and businesses that contribute to an endowed fund at a qualified community foundation
in Iowa. The Endow Iowa program was designed as a philanthropic catalyst to provide an incentive to encourage giving to organizations that strengthen Iowa communities.
By making a donation to the Project GREEN Endowment Fund through CFJC, you combine your current gift with a future gift, which maximizes tax savings to make an even bigger impact. This approach provides the opportunity to connect your current support of our mission with a future gift that creates your lasting legacy for Project GREEN.
The tax benefits you receive depend on the assets you use to make a current gift – and remember, donations to our Project GREEN Endowment Fund at CFJC qualify for a 25 percent Iowa tax credit. These include:
- Cash. When you make a gift of cash, you receive an income tax deduction. Cash gifts provide us with the financial means to respond to our most pressing needs.
- Stocks and bonds. By donating appreciated securities to Project GREEN that you have held longer than one year, you eliminate the capital gains tax. Plus, you receive a federal income tax charitable deduction.
- Real estate. If you give real estate or land, you receive an income tax charitable deduction, eliminate long-term capital gains tax, and reduce possible future estate taxes. You also avoid the hassle of selling or maintaining the property.
- Art and other personal property. These gifts provide you with an immediate income tax deduction, plus capital gains tax savings.
You also have many options for the future part of your gift, including:
- A gift in your will or living trust. Called a bequest, this is an easy and popular gift. You can give a specific amount or leave a percentage of your estate. We will use this gift to further our mission.
- Retirement plan assets. These assets are subject to income taxes when left to heirs. As a nonprofit organization, we are tax-exempt and are eligible to receive the full amount of the gift.
- Life insurance. You can name Project GREEN as the beneficiary of all or a portion of your life insurance policy.
Many planned gifts take effect after your lifetime and are revocable, so you retain full control of your assets during your lifetime. If your family’s circumstances change in the future, you have the flexibility to amend your plan.
We encourage you to discuss options with your financial professional or tax advisor, and contact us to discuss your alternatives.
Learn more about giving to the Project GREEN Endowment Fund at CFJC: